Click on the STREAM "knob" above or here to listen.
GUESTS FOR THURSDAY APRIL 24, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Do you enjoy traveling by rail? Would you like to see the US expand High Speed Rail and other commuter rail access?...... Call 877-489-9421.
- Mark Magliari, Amtrak Spokesperson, is our guest. The Jeff Santos Show is excited to announce our new partnership with America's "National Railroad Passenger Corporation" - Amtrak - who will be sponsoring a Transportation Thursday segment, Thursdays on the Jeff Santos Show. Every Thursday in the 3 O'Clock hour, we'll be talking about all aspects of rail travel with Amtrak representatives and others. We launch our inaugural "Amtrak Transportation Thursday" segment with a look at the upcoming 7th Annual National Train Day which will be celebrated this year on Saturday May 10, 2014. Activities are planned at train stations around the country, and on May 3rd & 10th, passengers and rail enthusiasts will be able to view Amtrak passenger trains and equipment up close and in person. For more information about National Train Day - and an interactive map of events in your area go to website: www.NationalTrainDay.com. Follow the event on Twitter: @natltrainday.
- John Businger, Former Massachusetts State Rep, serving the Town of Brookline for almost 30 years AND chief advocate for the Boston North-South Station Rail Link. It's Transportation Thursday and we continue the conversation...
- Anthony "Tony" Papa, Manager of Media Relations at the Drug Policy Alliance (www.DrugPolicy.org). Papa is an artist whose work has been shown at the Whitney Museum in New York City. He is an advocate against the war on drugs and co-founder of the Mothers of the New York Disappeared.--- His book "15 to Life: How I Painted My Way to Freedom (2004)" tells his personal story of being sentenced to state prison for a first-time, nonviolent drug offense under New York’s draconian Rockefeller Drug Laws. The book is optioned and set to become a feature film. Papa has been interviewed by a wide range of national print and broadcast media outlets.
This week the Obama Administration took further steps to enact a Drug Offense Clemency policy that could possibly impact thousands of Americans currently serving time - by granting them clemency if after a review of their crime, sentence and behavior while in prison they are found to meet a set of criteria for early release. This follows the President's request in January for Prosecutors to suggest inmates who might be good candidates for early release. Our guest himself was given clemency and released from Sing Sing by New York Governor George Pataki after serving 12 yeara of a 15-year sentence for a one-time, nonviolent drug offense. We'll talk about his experience, the significance of the new Obama policy, and what it will mean for so many American families who have had family members incarcerated as part of America's so-called "War On Drugs"
- Jerry Austin, Ohio-based political consultant who has worked for many candidates over the years from Sherrod Brown to Paul Wellstone and as Jesse Jackson's 1988 Presidential Campaign Manager, on the Obama Clemency Policy, Supreme Court cases this week, Georgia Gun Law, AND.....Getting 18-34 year olds out to the polls!
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR WEDNESDAY APRIL 23, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Georgia Gun Law Allows Guns in Churches, Schools, Bars & Airports! Big "victory" for the NRA with the signing today in Georgia of the the Safe Carry Protection Act of 2014 (unofficially known as the "Guns Everywhere Bill"). Do you agree with loosening gun-carry laws?.
- Jim Warren, NY Daily News Washington D.C. Bureau Chief, former managing editor at the Chicago Tribune. Big week of controversial cases in front of the Supreme Court, with their decision Tuesday to uphold Michigan's Affirmative Action ban at public Universities - as well as arguments heard about whether it's legal to put lies in political ads (SUSAN B. ANTHONY LIST V. DRIEHAUS) and whether the company Aereo, can legally capture and re-distribute free "over-the-air" network television programming (ABC v. AEREO).
- John Rosenthal, President of Meridith Management in Boston. He is also a gun owner and Co-Founder of nonprofit groups "Stop Handgun Violence", "Common Sense About Kids and Guns", and "American Hunters and Shooters Association". Georgia Governor Nathan Deal today signed a law that will allow people in his state to carry guns in bars, churches, schools, airports and government buildings. The law also adds some "Stand Your Ground" type language which essentially means that an illegally-purchased gun can be used in self-defense without the shooter being charged for illegally possessing the weapon. Additional features of the law: Police Officers will no longer be permitted to ask whether a person carrying a gun has a valid permit; hunters can now hunt using silencers on their guns; the state will not be allowed to keep a list of citizens with valid gun permits; teachers/administrators/janitors/cooks or other school employees may carry concealed weapons in schools as long as they've been given permission by the school district; people will not be charged if caught trying to take guns into restricted areas in airports...
Green Day Wednesday segments as we celebrate Earth Day this week:
- Rona Fried, Founder & CEO of www.SustainableBusiness.com, a global news and networking website dedicated to green business. It was Earth Day yesterday and we spoke with Rona Fried, the woman behind the great green news and business website - sustainablebusiness.com. Click HERE for the latest Daily News Stories from Sustainable Business. [Previously Recorded]
- Bob Deans, Director of Federal Communications in the Communications Department at the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC). On this Earth Day Week 2014... we join the NRDC in urging the Government to take action to address climate change by taking a strong stance on "cutting carbon pollution from power plants". Power plants generate 40% of America's Carbon outut. The NRDC is featuring a number of things this Earth Day from reducing Carbon emissions to the Keystone XL Pipeline AND protecting the water and wildlife around us from herbicides, pesticides & environmental destruction. [Previously Recorded]
The Jeff Santos Show is pleased to announce the start of a new weekly segment today, focusing on all aspects of rail travel, and brought to you by America's National Railroad Passenger Corporation, Amtrak.
Tune in every Thursday at 3:14pm EST for Amtrak Transportation Thursday on the Jeff Santos Show. This week on April 24th, for the inaugural segment, our guest will be Amtrak spokesperson Mark Magliari, and we'll be talking about the 7th Annual National Train Day which will be celebrated this year on Saturday May 10, 2014. Activities are planned at train stations around the country, and on May 3rd & 10th, passengers and rail enthusiasts will be able to view Amtrak passenger trains and equipment up close and in person. Click HERE for an interactive map that you can use to find National Train Day events in your area!
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR TUESDAY APRIL 22, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Teacher Tuesday Recognizes Education Support Professionals & It's Earth Day!How are you celebrating Earth Day today? What are your top Green Priorities?.
TEACHER TUESDAY SEGMENT, SPONSORED BY THE NATIONAL EDUCATION ASSOCIATION (NEA)
- Debby Chandler, 20-year Attendance Secretary at Rogers High School, Spokane, Washington who also serves as a Parent-Community Specialist. She is the Washington Education Association's 2013 Education Support Professional of the Year; Spokane Education Association Vice President; and National Council for ESPs Pacific Regional Director through 2014. Wednesday April 23rd is Administrative Professionals Day and on this Teacher Tuesday segment we're talking about School Secretaries and other Education Support Professionals (ESPs) and what they do for our students and school communities. Outside of teachers, Education Support Professionals see the students every day and help them deal with all kinds of issues from academic support to stresses at home and addressing poverty and hunger. Of NEA's 3 million members, approximately 500,000 are Education Support Professionals. They include: food service workers; custodians and maintenance workers; clerical professionals; security officials; who implement security policies and crisis response plans; para-educators; health and student service workers; transportation workers; skilled trades professionals AND technical service workers! It takes a village to raise a well-rounded, successful student!
- Nick Cafardo, National baseball writer for The Boston Globe. NESN and MLB Network correspondent. We're talking Red Sox baseball...and a look at how the MLB season is going so far.
- Rona Fried, Founder & CEO of www.SustainableBusiness.com, a global news and networking website dedicated to green business. It's Earth Day and who better to talk with than Rona Fried, the woman behind the great green news and business website - sustainablebusiness.com. We usually talk with Rona on Wednesdays...Click HERE for the latest Daily News Stories from Sustainable Business
- Bob Deans, Director of Federal Communications in the Communications Department at the National Resources Defense Council (NRDC). On this Earth Day 2014... we join the NRDC in urging the Government to take action to address climate change by taking a strong stance on "cutting carbon pollution from power plants". Power plants generate 40% of America's Carbon outut. The NRDC is featuring a number of things this Earth Day from reducing Carbon emissions to the Keystone XL Pipeline AND protecting the water and wildlife around us from herbicides, pesticides & environmental destruction.
- Brad Bannon, CEO, Bannon Communications Research, a Democratic political consulting and polling firm. You can read his commentaries at www.USNews.com. We're continuing the conversation about Earth Day and the intersection of climate action with jobs and politics with our regular Tuesday commentator Brad Bannon. He thinks it's time to act on climate change...Check out his Earth Day column at US News, "Needed Now: Action to Stop Climate Change - Americans need to realize how dire the threat really is.
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR FRIDAY APRIL 18, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW:.
- Jim Dean, Chair, Democracy for America (DFA). We'll be looking at the continued GOP attacks on the Affordable Care Act now that the numbers are coming in and they're looking good...
- Amalie Benjamin, Bruins beat writer for the Boston Globe. The NHL Hockey Playoffs are underway...a few games have been played already, and the top seeded Boston Bruins meet the Detroit Redwings tonight for the first game of their best-of-seven series!
- Earl Bender - President of Avenel Associates, political strategist at Totten Communications and regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. Earl's in sunny California today! We'll talk about the surprisingly good numbers for "Obamacare" signups and other news on this "Good Friday".
Today at 3:14pm EST, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh will be Jeff's guest. Jeff will talk with the Mayor about his first 100 Days in office, the emotional week remembering the Marathon bombing, this year's race next Monday AND what his priorities are for the rest of 2014!
Listen in the Boston area on WBNW AM 1120 or online HERE.
You can call in during the show at our Toll-Free Listener Hotline 877-489-9421 or submit a question at the Jeff Santos Show facebook page.
GUESTS FOR WEDNESDAY APRIL 16, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Former Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference joins us for Green Day...877-489-9421.
- Andrew Ference, former defenseman for the Boston Bruins and current Captain of the Edmonton Oilers. It's "Green Day Wednesday"...our guest Andrew Ference is widely known for his environmental activism - people around the National Hockey League call him "Mr. Green" because of that. We'll ask him about Earth Day next week and other green issues he's focusing on these days (Edmonton is in Alberta, home of the Tar Sands that Keystone XL pipeline supporters would like to ship to the Gulf Coast...) We'll also talk a little hockey of course, and ask the Oilers' captain how it's going on his new team, what their prospects are for 2015...and how he thinks of his time here in Boston - especially on this week when we remember the Marathon bombing.
- Maria Cramer, Boston Globe Reporter. One year since the Boston Marathon bombing and a lot of things have changed in the city... next Monday is the 2014 Boston Marathon with thousands more runners signed up than last year. People are feeling "Boston Strong" and wanting to show solidarity...but how will this event be different than past marathons? Maria has been researching the security changes for this year's marathon and is here to tell us about it.
- Terry O'Neill, President, National Organization for Women (NOW). The "new" GOP is claiming to be inclusive - by dropping anti-gay/anti-women planks from their platforms, - but are they really?
- Scott Bates, President at the Center for National Policy (a Truman National Security Project Partner). We'll look at the current situation between Russia and Ukraine: the latest movements in Ukraine with Russian troops and Russian-backed activists; how Ukrainians are responding; are our EU/G7 allies playing a "wait-and-see" game with Putin; and how much support is there for different sides?
Tune in today at 3:14pm for an interview with former Boston Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference, currently captain of the Edmonton Oilers. The Bruins finished the Season at the top of the league and are first seed in the Playoffs that started yesterday; the Oilers will have to wait 'til next year to take a crack at the cup!
We'll talk with Andrew Ference about the Playoffs, how the transition to his new team has been, and his reflections on his time in Boston - especially this week as we remember the Boston Marathon Bombing and how the City came together in the days and weeks afterwards. Boston's sports teams were a big part in the early healing process; the Bruins played the first professional sports game after the bombing last year...