The video stream is back, live every day for 1 hour from 5-6pm (or occasionally 3-4pm) Eastern Time. Check below for today's topics & guests and a link to listen to the audio stream for the non-video hours Mon-Fri 3-6pm ET!
Having trouble with the video stream? Listen to the Audio Stream HERE.
Click on the STREAM "knob" above or here to listen.
AND vote in the poll at our website about what the US' anti-ISIS policy should be!
GUESTS FOR WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 29, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Long-serving Boston Mayor Tom Menino passed away after a brief but very courageous and public battle with cancer. He was known to thousands, loved Boston and its people, was a fantastic supporter of Democratic candidates, and he will be sorely missed ... Call 877-489-9421
HOUR ONE THEME: Running for Office
- Steve Kerrigan, candidate for Massachusetts Lt. Governor. [CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: http://www.stevekerrigan.org/] Kerrigan is the current President and co-founder of the Massachusetts Military Heroes Fund, a "nonprofit organization dedicated to providing support to the families of military service personnel from Massachusetts" who have died in service since September 11. Steve served as Chief of Staff to former Massachusetts AG Thomas Reilly from 2003-2007. For over 10 years, he worked as a staff member in Senator Ted Kennedy's office, even arranging his funeral mass in Boston in 2009. The candidate was going to join us to talk about the campaign, but because of Mayor Menino's death, campaign activities have been suspended. He'll share his reminiscences about Mayor Menino.
- Former Massachusetts Governor and 1988 Democratic Presidential Nominee, Michael Dukakis. On running for office, the importance of being politically engaged, and getting out the vote.
HOUR TWO THEME: Political Strategy
- Seth Moulton, Candidate for U.S. Congress in Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District that includes most of Essex County, including the cities of Lynn, Salem Gloucester and others on the North Shore and Cape Ann. [CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: http://www.sethmoulton.com/Moulton] is running against Republican Richard Tisei for the seat being vacated by 6-term Congressman John Tierney. Seth Moulton for Congress campaign; top priorities if elected; Key issues facing Massachusetts 6th District; the importance of voting, getting involved and Getting Out The Vote this election; why it is important for young people especially to vote in the midterms.
- John Businger, Former 30-year Massachusetts State Rep (D-Brookline) and advocate for voting rights and rail transportation. He served on the Massachusetts House Elections Committee while in office and worked to increase voting access in Massachusetts. A regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. Political Strategy - How do you win supporters and get the candidate's positive message out - especially in the era of massive political ad spending by outside groups.
- Jerry Austin, Ohio-based political consultant who has worked for many candidates over the years from Sherrod Brown to Paul Wellstone and as Jesse Jackson's 1988 Presidential Campaign Manager.
- Earl Bender, President of Avenel Associates, political strategist at Totten Communications and regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. Earl was a former campaign staffer for President Jimmy Carter and worked in his Administration. Aside from political consulting, Earl has been a long-time advocate against the Death Penalty.
HOUR THREE THEME: Getting Out The Vote
- Jim Dean, Chair, Democracy for America (DFA), a group founded "on the idea that the grassroots are the key to the Democratic Party’s success", with the goal of reforming the Democratic Party from the ground up - with the help of energized progressive activist citizens!" He is the brother of former VT Governor and Presidential Candidate, Howard Dean, founder of DFA. Getting out the vote. What is a political ground game really like? What works to get voters to the polls?
- Kate Donoghue, long-time political activist, who was called the iron woman of Massachusetts' political canvassers" in a Boston Globe article this month. She is a "semi-retired" software engineer and publishes the famous "Democratic Dispatch" which is an online Political news roundup on Massachusetts politics.
- Jon O'Brien, politically engaged Massachusetts High School student. We'll talk with him about how he got interested in politics, what his friends have to say about it, and why he thinks it's good to get involved in political activism at an early age.
And YOUR calls too...
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR THURSDAY OCTOBER 23, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Canada Responds to Violence At The Parliament in Ottowa! Latest Political Polling with Spencer Kimball! We'll also look at what's going on with suspicious leaks in the Ferguson Grand Jury trial over whether officer Dennis Wilson should face charges! What are you expecting as an outcome? and what SHOULD the outcome be?
- Herb Boyd, American journalist, educator, author, and activist based in New York. His articles appear regularly in the "Amsterdam News", and have won him three 1st-place awards from the New York Association of Black Journalists. Boyd has been inducted into both the Literary Hall of Fame for Writers of African Descent and the Madison Square Garden Hall of Fame as a journalist. He teaches black studies at the City College of New York and the College of New Rochelle. Ferguson, Missouri has been in the news again as leaks have been coming out this week about the Michael Brown Grand Jury investigation and alleged witness testimony siding with officer Darren Wilson's line of defense. People are speculating as to whether the leaks are intended to cushion the blow to the community if the Grand Jury decides not to seek prosecution. Missouri residents - and others around the country - are using the Ferguson story to motivate GOTV efforts!
- Bruce Campion-Smith, Ottawa bureau chief for the Toronto Star, reporting from Parliament Hill on federal politics and policy. He has won a Canadian Association of Journalists Award with the Star. The Canadian Capitol of Ottawa was stunned yesterday by the violent attack on Parliament and the shooting of young Corporal Nathan Cirillo who was guarding a National Monument outside of Parliament. This morning, showing a brave face and talking about how Canada will continue to be a peaceful, inclusive and tolerant nation, Prime Minister Stephen Harper and Opposition Leader Tom Mulcair spoke to the members of the House of Commons who met this morning, only hours after the violence yesterday. Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers who stopped the attacker yesterday was given a standing ovation and appeared to be moved by the honor. The shooter, who was killed by Vickers, has been identified as a 32year old Canadian-born convert to Islam, Michael Zehaf-Bibeau. His mother Susan Bibeau has said that she is angry at her son for what he did.....PM Harper mentioned the need for increased surveillance. Will this event change Canada?
- John Businger, Former 30-year Massachusetts State Rep (D-Brookline) and advocate for voting rights and rail transportation. A regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. John joins Jeff in-studio (WATCH THE LIVE STREAM) for a little politics and Transportation Thursday talk!
- Emerson Pollster, Spencer Kimball, Scholar-In-Residence, Department of Communication Studies, Emerson College. He teaches the Political Communication and Communication Studies Capstone courses for graduating seniors and is the advisor for the Emerson Pre-Law Society and the Emerson College Polling Society (ECPS). Kimball is also a small business owner, serving as the founder and CEO of Kimball Political Consulting, LLC. He'll share some of the latest polling on Massachusetts political races & ballot questions...as well as some other information that Spencer has been tracking in the key states of New Hampshire, Colorado, Kansas & Iowa.
And Listener Calls!
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR TUESDAY OCTOBER 21, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Teacher Tuesday - GOTV For Education! Coakley-Baker MA Gubernatorial Debate Tonight! Ohio Sec'y of State Candidate Nina Turner! Two more weeks until the November 4th Midterm Election. It's all about honing the message and getting out the vote! Can the Democrats break through and do it?
TEACHER TUESDAY SEGMENT, SPONSORED BY THE NATIONAL EDUCATION ASSOCIATION (NEA)
- John Havlicek, 20-year classroom veteran who teaches high school Spanish in La Crosse, Wisconsin. He'll talk about GOTV efforts in the Wisconsin gubernatorial race and why education is playing a big role in the Mary Burke v. Scott Walker race. John knows firsthand how public education has changed since Scott Walker took office four years ago. He's seen how bad education policies like voucher expansions have hurt kids. He’s working to get out the vote this election day because he knows just how much is at stake!
- Robert Gaines III, 8-year Special Education Paraprofessional from Saginaw, Michigan. Gaines works with 18-26 year old special needs students. We continue NEA Teacher Tuesday with a look at GOTV efforts in the Michigan gubernatorial race and why education is playing a big role in the Mark Schauer v. Rick Snyder race. Robert has been working in education for eight years and was recently featured in a TV ad that put the spotlight on Snyder’s education record.
- Brad Bannon, CEO, Bannon Communications Research, a Democratic political consulting and polling firm. He is a pollster, blogger, and fill-in radio host on the Leslie Marshall show. You can read his commentaries at www.USNews.com. Two more weeks until Election Day on November 4th - Midterm Politics - two big debates in New England tonight -- in the Brown-Shaheen NH Senate race & Coakley-Baker MA Governor's race! The GOP has no answers to America's problems but they're making gains by selling fear and getting a lot of media attention. Where and what is the winning Democratic message? Things are really heating up and the GOP messaging of "Fear & Incompetence" has taken on a life of its own with the recent Ebola scare. Brad's latest piece at US News talks about how the GOP-Blocked Surgeon General Nominee Vivek Murthy [is] Needed During Ebola Crisis.
- Nina Turner, Ohio Senate Minority Whip and Democratic Candidate for Ohio Secretary of State. Voting Rights activist. Two weeks left until the election, and with the Supreme Court's help, current Ohio Secretary of State John Husted and Governor Kasich were able to cut back Early Voting opportunities in Ohio. We'll ask Senator Turner how GOTV efforts and early voting are going in the state, as well as for her thoughts about the recent Supreme Court decision to uphold Texas' Voter ID Law. This is a critical election for Democrats - especially with respect to protecting voter access! Next Tuesday, October 28th, Senator Turner will be participating in a public debate with Libertarian candidate for Sec'y of State, Kevin Knedler at the Cleveland City Club. The Republican Incumbent, Sec'y John Husted, was invited but will not participate. CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: http://www.ninaturner.org
And YOUR calls too...
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR MONDAY OCTOBER 20, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Political Messaging - GOP Pitching "Obama Incompetence" Over Ebola & The Dems Try To "Raise The Wage!" Hillary Clinton was campaigning on wage issues in Kentucky with Senate Candidate Alison Lundergan Grimes. Can the Dems own the minimum wage issue? Will it be drowned out by the ever-so-successful GOP messaging machine.
- John Nichols, Washington Correspondent for the Nation Magazine and co-author of the book Dollarocracy, How the Money and Media Election Complex is Destroying America. The Minimum Wage has become a prominent campaign issue and has been in the news lately - with Scott Walker fumbling over it during a debate last week saying there was basically no purpose to a Minimum Wage and Hillary Clinton campaigning on the issue with Alison Lundergan Grimes in Kentucky. How is it impacting things in the Mary Burke-Scott Walker, Wisconsin Governor's Race?
- John Businger, Former 30-year Massachusetts State Rep (D-Brookline) and advocate for voting rights and rail transportation. A regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. The Supreme Court Upheld Texas Voter ID law, which is expected to prevent 600,000 eligible Texas voters from being able to cast a ballot this election!.... and back here in New England, a new Boston Herald-Suffolk University Poll shows that in the New Hampshire Senate Race, Incumbent Senator Jeanne Shaheen is ahead of Scott Brown by 3 points at 49 to 46 percent.
- Earl Bender, President of Avenel Associates, political strategist at Totten Communications and regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. Ebola has not only become the top News story dominating media coverage, it has been turned into a political issue by Republicans and right wingers who want to present the handling of information and the first American cases of the disease as "further evidence of Obama's incompetence"! What is the GOP doing? What are their talking points? Is it working to sway voters? Can the Democrats turn this around by talking up the President's Accomplishments?
And YOUR calls too...
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 15, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Green Day Wednesday takes a look at Getting Out The Environmentalist Vote! And a big day of Illinois politics with three great Democratic public servants, Governor Pat Quinn (currently running for re-election), Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky and Congressman Danny Davis
- Illinois Congressman Danny Davis, representing Illinois' 7th District which includes much of Chicago's West Side and connecting suburbs and is contained within Illinois' Cook County.He was first elected to Congress in 1996. Congressman Davis is a member of several Congressional Caucuses including the Congressional Black Caucus, the Progressive Caucus, the Urban Caucus, the Community Health Center's Caucus, and the Congressional Sugar Caucus. He serves on the Ways & Means Committee, Oversight & Government Reform Committee; Energy Policy, Health Care & Entitlements Committee and related subcommittees. We'll talk about issues of Guns, Gun Violence, Voting and Politics. And if time permits, Jeff might check in with the Congressman about an idea we discussed last time he was on the show -- namely the idea of linking Unemployment Insurance benefit funding to Congressional Military authorization!
- Rona Fried - Founder & CEO of www.SustainableBusiness.com, a global news and networking website dedicated to green business. It's "Green Day Wednesday" and today, it's all about Getting out the Vote - especially to get rid of Scott Walker in Wisconsin! A couple of interesting stories Rona's following this week include a look at Chicago's "Method Products" plant, which is a LEED-Platinum Factory Topped By World's Largest Urban Farm. Also how's it going with the anti-Keystone XL Pipeline battle? Neil Young, Willie Nelson Play to Sold Out Tar Sands Crowd, While Enbridge Skirts the Law.
- Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), representing the Illinois' 9th District since 1999. The 9th District covers all or part of the municipalities of Chicago, Des Plaines, Evanston, Glenview, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles, Park Ridge, Prospect Heights, Wilmette and Winnetka and Arlington Heights. On Democratic GOTV for the November 4th Election and thoughts on the Quinn-Rauner Illinois Governor's race. Also, a look at Infrastructure spending, the Minimum Wage (National Minimum Wage Day was October 10th) and the need for greater focus on domestic issues even when the President and media are highly focused on growing international concerns of ISIS and the Ebola virus.
- Illinois Governor Pat Quinn, a Democrat, serving as Governor since 2009. His long career of public service include terms as State Treasurer and Lieutenant Governor. The Governor is running for re-election against Republican challenger Bruce Rauner. They held their second televised debate last night. We'll ask the Governor about the campaign and discuss issues of Education, Infrastructure and Jobs. CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: www.quinnforillinois.com
And YOUR calls too...
Jeff had a great time meeting Ivan, Richard, Shea, Trenton, Adam and all of the other WCPT AM & FM Jeff Santos Show listeners who came out last night to the Sable Bar in Chicago, in spite of the terrible weather!! We'll have to do it again real soon! If you were there and have any snapshots please share them with us at the Jeff Santos Show facebook page. Thanks for being engaged listeners and for all you do for the cause! Keep the calls coming!
[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR MONDAY OCTOBER 13, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Jeff's Broadcasting Live Today From Chicago Progressive Talk Affiliate WCPT AM & FM!
- John Nichols, Washington Correspondent for the Nation Magazine and co-author of the book Dollarocracy, How the Money and Media Election Complex is Destroying America. John's been working on a new piece on Governor Walker and yet another way he continues to disregard Wisconsin's long tradition of Progressive politics and legislation, in deference to his Koch-Brothers fueled policies. Did you know that Wisconsin has a very old law on the books requiring that workers be paid a "living wage"? Doesn't seem that Governor Scott Walker does! John's got a couple of great articles on other topics in the news this week the Nation...the best way to find out if a hospital is ready to deal with Ebola and also, how this year's Nobel Peace Prize winners announced last week are "radicals" and why that's a good thing!
- Jim Warren, Washington Correspondent for the New York Daily News and former Managing Editor of the Chicago Tribune. We're on Jim's turf here in Chicago this week! He moves back and forth between DC and Chicago -- today he's in Chicago.
- Earl Bender, President of Avenel Associates, political strategist at Totten Communications and regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. Great to be here in Chicago - live in the WCPT AM & FM studios - with long time regular contributor Earl Bender, In-Studio! You can hear him every Monday and Friday on the Jeff Santos Show!
And YOUR calls too...
Come to the Sable Bar at the Palomar Hotel in Chicago next Tuesday, October 14th from 6-9pm, to meet Jeff for a couple of hours of hanging out and chatting! He's looking forward to meeting Debbie, Ivan, Edward, Rudy and all of our Chicagoland callers and listeners on WCPT AM & FM Chicago's Progressive Talk!
The Sable Bar is located adjacent to the Palomar Hotel at 505 North State Street in the River North section of Chicago. Find directions HERE.