GUESTS FOR MONDAY JULY 15, 2013 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: The 6-member jury came back Saturday with a "not guilty" verdict for George Zimmerman on the second day of deliberations in the Trayvon Martin murder trial. What is YOUR reaction?
- Ronald S. Sullivan Jr., Professor at Harvard Law School & Director of the Harvard Criminal Justice Institute. His areas of focus are Civil Rights & Civil Liberties, Defense Delivery for the Indigent, and Criminal Trials & Appeals. We'll look at the Acquittal of George Zimmerman and the national response to the "Not Guilty" verdict; the possibility for Trayvon Martin's parents of bringing a civil "wrongful death" case; the likelihood of a Federal Civil Rights lawsuit; the significance of case to the national conversation about race; and, the imbalance in the American Justice system that disadvantages African Americans - especially young males.
- John Businger, Former Massachusetts State Rep, serving the Town of Brookline for almost 30 years AND advocate for the Boston South Station rail link. The 2013 Massachusetts Democratic Party Platform convention took place this weekend in Lowell, Massachusetts. John was there in his capacity as MA Democratic Party Committee Member. The 4 declared democratic candidates for Governor spoke at the convention - MA Treasurer Steve Grossman, Cape Cod State Senator Dan Wolf, Newton pediatrician Don Berwick and Joseph Avellone, a former Wellesley selectman - others possibly making a run for the Governor's seat may include AG Martha Coakley and Congressman Mike Capuano.
- Harry Moser, President and Founder of the Reshoring Initiative [www.ReshoreNow.org]. The Reshoring Initiative works to bring good, well-paying manufacturing jobs BACK to the United States, by helping companies accurately assess the real costs of offshoring and move consensus away from the commonly held idea that ‘offshoring is cheaper’ to the idea that ‘local manufacturing reduces the total cost of ownership.’ It's "Manufacturing Monday": We'll explore the concept of "Reshoring" which is featured in a chapter by our guest in the forthcoming book "ReMaking America" - compiled by our sponsor, the Alliance for American Manufacturing - to create a "Blueprint for an American Manufacturing Resurgence in the New Global Economy". How do we accelerate the process of Reshoring? What do we need to do to make sure that the workforce skills match the manufacturers' needs?
- Jeremy C. Fox, "Your Town" Correspondent for the Boston Globe and www.Boston.com covering breaking news and neighborhood stories, on the Boston response to the George Zimmerman "not guilty" verdict. Jeremy spoke with residents and faith leaders in Boston at the Morning Star Baptist Church in Mattapan the morning after the verdict was announced; later Sunday evening, hundreds gathered in Dudley Square, Roxbury, to peacefully show solidarity with victim Trayvon Martin's family. Many protesters - some wearing hoodies (SEE ABOVE PHOTO) - chanted and carried handmade signs with slogans like “Justice for Trayvon,” “Say no to racism,” and “What if he was your son?” during the rally where City Councillor Charles Yancey and others spoke. Jeremy co-wrote an article with Metro reporters Allysa Botelho & Matt Rocheleau in today's Metro Section: "In Boston, displays of solidarity for Martin family".
- Earl Bender, President of Avenel Associates, political strategist at Totten Communications and regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. We continue the conversation about George Zimmerman and the disappointing verdict in the Trayvon Martin murder trial with regular contributor Earl Bender. What was the response in Chicago, a city which sees hundreds of gun deaths of African American youth every year!