[Podcast Audio Pending]
The Jeff Santos Show 3-6pm EST:
GUESTS FOR WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 29, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: Long-serving Boston Mayor Tom Menino passed away after a brief but very courageous and public battle with cancer. He was known to thousands, loved Boston and its people, was a fantastic supporter of Democratic candidates, and he will be sorely missed ... As we Remember Boston Mayor Tom Menino, we continue with our plans for today's Student GOTV-Palooza With Emerson and Emmanuel College Students!
HOUR ONE THEME: Running for Office
- Steve Kerrigan, candidate for Massachusetts Lt. Governor. [CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: http://www.stevekerrigan.org/] Kerrigan is the current President and co-founder of the Massachusetts Military Heroes Fund, a "nonprofit organization dedicated to providing support to the families of military service personnel from Massachusetts" who have died in service since September 11. Steve served as Chief of Staff to former Massachusetts AG Thomas Reilly from 2003-2007. For over 10 years, he worked as a staff member in Senator Ted Kennedy's office, even arranging his funeral mass in Boston in 2009. The candidate was going to join us to talk about the campaign, but because of Mayor Menino's death, campaign activities have been suspended. He'll share his reminiscences about Mayor Menino.
- Former Massachusetts Governor and 1988 Democratic Presidential Nominee, Michael Dukakis. On running for office, the importance of being politically engaged, and getting out the vote.
HOUR TWO THEME: Political Strategy
- Seth Moulton, Candidate for U.S. Congress in Massachusetts' 6th Congressional District that includes most of Essex County, including the cities of Lynn, Salem Gloucester and others on the North Shore and Cape Ann. [CAMPAIGN WEBSITE: http://www.sethmoulton.com/Moulton] is running against Republican Richard Tisei for the seat being vacated by 6-term Congressman John Tierney. Seth Moulton for Congress campaign; top priorities if elected; Key issues facing Massachusetts 6th District; the importance of voting, getting involved and Getting Out The Vote this election; why it is important for young people especially to vote in the midterms.
- John Businger, Former 30-year Massachusetts State Rep (D-Brookline) and advocate for voting rights and rail transportation. He served on the Massachusetts House Elections Committee while in office and worked to increase voting access in Massachusetts. A regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. Political Strategy - How do you win supporters and get the candidate's positive message out - especially in the era of massive political ad spending by outside groups.
- Jerry Austin, Ohio-based political consultant who has worked for many candidates over the years from Sherrod Brown to Paul Wellstone and as Jesse Jackson's 1988 Presidential Campaign Manager.
- Earl Bender, President of Avenel Associates, political strategist at Totten Communications and regular contributor to the Jeff Santos Show. Earl was a former campaign staffer for President Jimmy Carter and worked in his Administration. Aside from political consulting, Earl has been a long-time advocate against the Death Penalty.
HOUR THREE THEME: Getting Out The Vote
- Jim Dean, Chair, Democracy for America (DFA), a group founded "on the idea that the grassroots are the key to the Democratic Party’s success", with the goal of reforming the Democratic Party from the ground up - with the help of energized progressive activist citizens!" He is the brother of former VT Governor and Presidential Candidate, Howard Dean, founder of DFA. Getting out the vote. What is a political ground game really like? What works to get voters to the polls?
- Kate Donoghue, long-time political activist, who was called the iron woman of Massachusetts' political canvassers" in a Boston Globe article this month. She is a "semi-retired" software engineer and publishes the famous "Democratic Dispatch" which is an online Political news roundup on Massachusetts politics.
- Jon O'Brien, politically engaged Massachusetts High School student. We'll talk with him about how he got interested in politics, what his friends have to say about it, and why he thinks it's good to get involved in political activism at an early age.
And Listener Calls!