[Podcast Audio Pending]
GUESTS FOR TUESDAY JULY 29, 2014 ON THE JEFF SANTOS SHOW: The Congressional Action Clock is Ticking... Teacher Tuesday Looks at Reducing Student Debt! Are you or someone in your family buried by Student Loan Debt? What's your story? Are you working to pay it off? Looking for work?
TEACHER TUESDAY SEGMENT, SPONSORED BY THE NATIONAL EDUCATION ASSOCIATION (NEA)
- Alexis Ploss, College Sophomore at Manchester Community College, studying to become a high school physics and astronomy teacher. She is with the NEA in Washington D.C. today, talking with members of Congress about the need to reduce the debt burden on America's college students and their families as part of the NEA "Degrees Not Debt Program". Alexis expects to graduate with almost $100,000 in college debt. The topic today is Student Debt. Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) has proposed legislation in the Senate - the "Bank on Students Loan Fairness Act" - "that would cut the federal student interest rate to 0.75 percent, the same rate offered to banks by the Federal Reserve." Alexis Ploss is on Capitol Hill today where she has meetings with MA Senators Elizabeth Warren and Ed Markey, as well as Congresswomen Niki Tsongas (D-MA) and Carol Shea-Porter (D-NH) to talk about reducing student debt. All four legislators are in favor of the legislation to reduce student debt. We'll talk with Alexis about her personal story, and about the status of Senator Warren's legislation.
TAKE THE NEA DEGREES NOT DEBT PLEDGE:
(1) Need-based student aid must be increased.
(2) Student loans must be made more affordable.
(3) Public service must be encouraged through expanded loan forgiveness.
(4) Institutional aid must be increased.
- John Nichols, Washington Correspondent for the Nation Magazine and co-author of the book "Dollarocracy, How the Money and Media Election Complex is Destroying America. A LOT going on this week as Congress tries to take care of a few things before going home for their August recess: Israel-Gaza, John Kerry causing media flurry over attempts to help with ceasefire, Putin in Ukraine, VA bipartisan Bill, Immigration quick fix? John Boehner's Lawsuit against the President...
And of course, the election politics never stops...In a recent article at theNation.com, John makes the case that Paul Ryan's Faux Populism Isn't Going to End Poverty or Reduce Inequality.
- Brad Bannon, CEO, Bannon Communications Research, a Democratic political consulting and polling firm. He is a pollster, blogger, and fill-in radio host on the Leslie Marshall show. You can read his commentaries at www.USNews.com. In his latest piece there, Brad observes that the Immigration Debate is bringing out the best & worst in American Society. What is the Democratic message that members of Congress will be taking home with them when they leave for their August recess at the end of the week?...Will they pass a temporary Immigration fix or punt 'til September? Is it a good sign that the VA Bill is being supported in a bipartisan way?
And we'll be taking YOUR calls, of course...